I had a class called Spiritual Formation today that apparently DTS established because back in the day students were excelling in knowledge, but lacking the ability to understand themselves and others. I think this is brilliant because sharing successes and struggles with your peers bonds you together, and I think it is essential in growth and discipleship. My friends would confirm that I have a heart for community, and I am blessed to have a group of friends who value friendship so much.
"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another and all the more as you see the Day approaching." Hebrews 10:24-25
If you have been around me a lot you are probably thinking that I am obsessed with these verses because I use them in almost every message. Well let me set you straight. I am obsessed with these verses and that is why I use them in almost every message. If our sole purpose is to glorify God and God's ministry greatly involves relationships with people than our relationships should be about glorifying God. A=B, B=C, therefore A=C. The law of transitivity. Sorry (especially if Ryan and Brad read this) I know I promised it would have nothing to do with math. So that really emphasizes that community focused on glorifying God is important. Why do you think we have Churches? So go to Church. Sow relationships with Christians to mutually encourage one another to grow closer to Christ. Sow relationships with pre-Christians so that they may hear the gospel and know Christ. The common denominator is that in all relationships our Lord Jesus Christ is getting glory.
You may be thinking well that's a lot easier said then done. How do we know what's the right way to treat people? There is a lot of wisdom and instruction in the Bible and also as a Christian you have God Himself, the Holy Spirit, within you guiding you every step of the way. Well what if it isn't easy and my friends aren't looking for these types of relationships? The Bible guarantees it won't be easy, and in our relationship with God when sin abounded, grace abounded all the more. So when you are wronged or getting short-changed my advice would be to plead with God to allow you to be overflowing with grace for that person. Is it going to be perfect? No. Will there be many rough, hurtful, disappointing times? I would bet on it. Yet, persevering through those rough times and sticking it out with that person often draws you closer than all the good times put together. I can say that is true for the majority of my friendships.
In closing, do unto others as you would have done unto you. Consider others better than yourselves. These may be worn out and overused, but here is why they are so powerful. By putting others first you are sacrificing your wants and needs showing that the other person in very valuable. They see this value and they feel love and grace. This love and grace is given by our Heavenly Father, who sent His one and only Son to be crucified and bear the wrath of our sins. By doing so, God showed that He valued His creation. He showed that He loved His creation. Let the way you live be evident that you value God and others. Not because we are required too, but we are consumed by the love and grace that He has shown unto us.
Love you people. Emphasize and pray for community. Side note, I have never had so many people tell me they were praying for me than in the last month. Just know that by the thought of that alone I have found so much encouragement. So continue to pray for one another.
No comments:
Post a Comment