Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Fighting For Freedom

We all would say that we have a love for our country.  We are patriots and this is our home.  That's why we have so much respect for the soldiers that go out and defend our country.  They leave home, leave comfort, leave everything to protect us so that we may have our liberties.  They train extensively, go through all kinds of struggles, and are obedient to the point of death to fulfill their purpose.  I hope your heart swells up with pride and compassion for those that serve in our armed forces.

With that in mind, digest this scripture. Ephesians 6:10-20, "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.  Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.  In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.  Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.  And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.  With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people.  Pray also for me, that whenever i speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains.  Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."

It's as if Paul is saying, "Suit up, it's time for battle!"  So let's point some things out from this perspective.  Our home is not on this earth, our home is with our Lord Jesus Christ.  We are fighting the enemy on foreign ground, and we may have to sacrifice relationships with our families and friends.  We may even be led to death, but that's okay because our Lord and Commander already took care of that.  I believe that's why Paul says "Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."  We cannot be defeated.  We are fighting an enemy that will shudder and flee simply at the mention of our Commander's name.  What a mighty God we serve!  Yet, the scripture doesn't say sit back and rejoice.  At this moment, the battle is still raging on.  Put on your armor so that you will be able to stand firm.  Just hold the battle line because if you stand firm till the end the calvary will come to finish the deal.  We put on the belt buckle of truth because it is our integrity that holds everything together.  We put on the breastplate of righteousness because our heart is protected as the Lord renews it each day.  Our feet are fitted with readiness and urgency for we know the Good News and the outcome.  We have a shield of faith that extinguishes all arrows.  Think about this.  If you trust in a perfect, almighty God to protect and believe that He will  ultimately redeem you back to Him, do you really think that the enemy has anything in his arsenal to combat that?  Lastly, we have the Word of God as our sword.  Remember we are merely holding our ground, not attacking.  When a person has a weapon, but does not use it the weapon is worthless.  When a person has a weapon, but has no idea how to use that weapon, he can be a danger to himself and others, and does not fulfill the purpose of that weapon.  I am in Seminary being trained how to put on flawless armor and how to master my weapon which is the word of God.  Simply study the Word, not your own perspectives but what it says, and practice what you learn.  Paul ends by talking about prayer.  Know that you are being led well, perfectly for that matter.  God's sovereign plan will lead us to the Promised Land.  Pray for those fighting beside you, knowing that if we stand firm together then the enemy will be defeated and the God we serve will get all the glory.  It's a beautiful thought.

Cool side note, I met a guy from the University of Alabama here that God used my cousin Seth Springfield to lead him to Christ and to where he is at right now.  It's cool how everything works together for the good of those who love Him.

My first day of classes I realized I have so much work to do this semester, but I am going to learn so much and grow so much closer to God that I cannot wait.  So I hope for those of you who are sticking out reading this that I will begin to have more and more knowledge that will glorify our Lord Jesus Christ and I can share that with you.  By the way I feel like the audience that is reading this are pretty mature believers who understand the grace in their life.  So feel free to post prayer requests and testimonies of God's goodness so that we as a body may lift them up and rejoice together.  I hope you never get tired of hearing this-I love you guys so much.  Be the light of the world this week knowing that light always casts out darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment