I have an overwhelming desire to accomplish tasks in one sitting. Maybe its just a characteristic of a man that when you set your mind to do something, it has to be done. Yet, I have found this to be problematic at times. I will get so overwhelmed by the enormity of a task, that I will simply refuse to do it and put if off because of the stress that comes with tackling such a big project. While stressing over a big paper, I was recently advised just to take it one step at a time. What novel advice! You mean I can take it in smaller strides? Why it seems pretty obvious, this is advice I really needed to hear, and I think it applies to my spiritual walk as well.
I want my life to count for the Lord and I have many views (probably mostly wrong) of what that looks like. When I decide I want to learn the Bible, I want to learn the entire Bible right then and then get dissuaded by the daunting task. When I go to memorize scripture, I write down dozens of verses because I want to learn as many as I can only to be overwhelmed by the work I created. I seek to be a light to as many lives as possible, but then get guilt-ridden when I don't quite live up to the standard I created.
Maybe we need to just trust the small stuff. What if we devoted our lives to a few disciplines. What if we spent time and prayer and trusted it is useful and effective. What if we read our Bible each day and trusted that the Lord will provide us with wisdom as we continue to seek Him. What if we just committed to spending time discipling and encouraging those we have relationship with, and concentrate on asking the Lord to bring that one lost person to Him.
I in no way wish to limit someone's work in the Lord. However, God has not called an individual to reach the ends of the earth with the gospel alone. We are united as brothers and sisters and we commit together to praying for others and testifying to the truth. Lofty ambitions for the Lord aren't bad things but as John 15 says "Apart from me, you can do nothing." So plug into the vine. Do the small things and trust the Lord that His Spirit will do mighty works. Once you become faithful with a little, He will open your eyes to more things. God doesn't intend for His work to be overwhelming. It is likely that it will be difficult or uncomfortable, but He will gladly carry our burdens if we trust in Him. So commit your life to daily disciplines of communing with the Lord and sowing the relationships around you, and trust God for the power, strength, vision, and perseverance in your life.
No comments:
Post a Comment