Thursday, January 19, 2012

I Am Not Enough

I had a conversation with a friend about feelings of inadequacy.  My mom tells me she feels inadequate to teach Sunday school.  I feel inadequate to preach when I speak in front of people.  Why should people listen to me and what I have to say?  Furthermore, there are so many people ridden with guilt that feel unworthy of identifying themselves as a child of God.  They spend their whole lives trying to get right so that God will allow them to commune with Him.  This is such wrong thinking. 

Praise God for our feelings of inadequacy.  I hope we never feel that we are worthy of anything on our own.  You might be thinking that's a little harsh.  For don't we want to be confident and happy and successful?  Let your boasting come from the work the Holy Spirit is doing in you alone.  Realize that everything that you do or that has been given to you is a gift from God.  The reason we feel inadequate is because we are.  Realize that you serve a God who loves to demonstrate His power through you.  Realize that you serve a God that loves to take broken things and make them new.  Through this brokenness and feeling of inadequacy we recognize our need for God and His power.  Through this need we gain stronger then ever because the work of the Lord will never fail and He will give us all we need.  So if you don't think your strong enough, trained enough, or good enough to serve the Lord I am here to tell you that you're not.  Yet, because you believe and are a child of God even a broken vessel like you can be used to glorify God.  I hope you pray daily that pride doesn't creep in and divert God's glory to you.  Inadequacy will always be a struggle, but remain faithful and trust in the Lord.

On a side note, I was talking to AM last night and made me realize just how much the relationships I have were sent from the Lord.  I am so thankful for God's grace, especially the family and friends He has given me.  We take so much for granite in this life and are so easily angered and distracted.  Let the blessings you have stay on your mind this week and always be thankful.  Because when you see how the Lord your God has so richly given you all things, you can't help but be humbled by the thought.  I love you guys and hope your faith increases daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment